Schiffert Health Center
To help make decisions about seeking appropriate medical care, the CDC recently released the Coronavirus Self-Checker. This is not intended for the diagnosis or treatment of COVID-19 or other diseases.
Virginia Tech COVID-19 Helpline: 540-231-7600
If you have recently visited a country with widespread, ongoing community spread, we recommend that you stay home for 14 days from the time you left the area and practice social distancing.
Take these steps to monitor your health and practice social distancing:
- Take your temperature with a thermometer two times a day and monitor for fever. Also watch for cough or trouble breathing.
- Stay home and avoid contact with others. Do not go to work or school for this 14-day period. Discuss your work situation with your employer before returning to work.
- Do not take public transportation, taxis, or ride-shares during the time you are practicing social distancing.
- Avoid crowded places (such as shopping centers and movie theaters) and limit your activities in public.
- Keep your distance from others (about 6 feet or 2 meters).
What To Do If You Get Sick
Schiffert Health Center (SHC) does offer testing for COVID-19. If you get sick with fever (100.4°F/38°C or higher), cough, or have trouble breathing:
- Call ahead before you seek medical care at Schiffert Health Center (540-231-6444), LewisGale Hospital Montgomery-Emergency Department (540-951-1111) or your doctor’s office.
- Tell the receptionist or your providers about your recent travel and your symptoms.
- Avoid contact with others.
- Do not travel while sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol
For more information, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.